RBX1 stepper motor wiring

Howdy folks,

Bought the RBX1 kit off the site & man what a mission it has been to put together.

Anyways, in the latest version of the kit, the wires for the stepper motors are now covered in black polyethelene insulator. Which is actually great for keeping the robotic arm wiring process neat.

Unfortunately however, the colors of these wires is now different to the those of the official pdf wiring schematic on the site.

My question for this community is what is the right order to wire the ends into the green connectors?

Do we just follow the pattern as they connect into the motors for example?

pictures below explaining the issue outlined above:

anyone able to help? @admin @rraghvani

Hi Paul,

A quick browse of the internet for the coloured wires, I came across this website. The datasheet shows the colour codes for Red, Yellow, Gray and Green.

I suggest you do a continuity test to verify the pairs of wires. You should then be able to find out which colour is for A+, A-, B+ and B- (there should be plenty of examples on the internet).

I think it’s Red +, Yellow - , Gray + and Green -

@rraghvani ahh - thanks so much mate!

You don’t work for roboteurs by any chance? - you are doing an amazing job helping people out here hey!

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, I don’t work for Roboteurs! However, majority of the issues faced from forum members, I came across too.

Once you get your RBX1 running, make sure you keep an eye on the L6480 and L6470H chips to make sure that they don’t get hot - read this post

For sure mate & cheers for the heads up. Yep after watching dr d flows videos way back in December (that is when I ordered it haha) also ordered some heat sinks for the chips as he mentioned that they overheat.

And so glad that I did hey - oh boy do they overheat, especially the chip driving the dual nema 23s! Going to buy some fans to run over them too!

Hey Paul,

Little trick I found through some research and asking around. I think it was through a link that rraghvani gave me.
https://reprap.org/wiki/Stepper_wiring

To find out the pairs, you can use an ohm meter. You find the cables that, together, have a resistance practically 0 Ω and that’s a pair (A- and A+ for instance). Then the other pair is your B- and B+. If the motor isn’t going the right way, you only have to invert one of the pair (A or B) and the motor will switch direction.

Enjoy building the arm!

@Wiwip thanks for the tip mate- in the end this is exactly what we ended up doing, getting the ol’ multi meter out and figureing out which circuits had 0 resistance (aka formed a circuited).

Anyways, for anyone that experiences this issue in the future, our wires looked like this in the end: