SlushEngine model D up to 4 motor at the same time

Is it really limited to 4 motor or it can move all 6 at the same time?

If it can only move 4, why not use 2x model X to be able to move up to 8 motor at the same time?

My goal is to implement some reverse-kinetics and move the ARM using ROS, but I need to be able to move all the motors at the same time.

The Model D can move all 7 motors at the same time. The Lite version can run all 4 motors at the same time. You can also network them with ROS and some nice Python code to have many more moving simultaneously.

Hi again, I wonder if it would be possible to add some encoder to each stepper motor and make the Rasberry pi able to get the input from the encoders? Ive seen some stepper motor with encoders going for a cheap price, like 40$ for a Nema 17 closed loop… that would add a big upgrade to the project and Im sure more engineers would be interested in this since real robot arms is all about encoders on the servos

The SlushEngine currently doesnt have this feature. The Raspberry Pi is pretty versatile and encoders could probably be ‘hacked’ into the system but not in a nice way. That being said there are rumors floating around that a new product like the Slushengine is in the pipeline that does support encoders. Hopefully we dont have to wait to long. :wink:

Any info about the maker of that product? Also, im having trouble controlling the servo, it move only a little and start doing weird little step, then my rasberry crash. Any idea?

The servo issue is a known problem. It has to do with the servo and the Pi running off the same power supply. It works with servos under light load or without a Pi connected. There are two ways to fix this.

• Add a USB power supply to the Raspberry Pi
  • Add a separate supply for your servo motor, and only connect the ground and signal wire to the SlushEngine/Raspberry Pi. A 5-7 volt supply like a wall adapter would work well I think.

What product are you referring to?

I use the SlushEngine D and the servo motor that came with the remix kit. I will try adding a external volt supply to the servo and see what happens. Getting the raspberry pi independently connected to a power supply didnt fix it, but changing a value in the code helped but didnt fix it. The motor sometimes just give up and stop responding, I have to disconnect and reconnect the servo to make it work again